In response to teacher feedback, this kit has many new features... more technology, alignment with the CEFR, fully-described lesson plans, additional assessment activities and focus on metacognition. .
The Whole-Class Activities Book and associated Blackline Masters or Student Book guide you and your students through the implementation of the core methodology. You are shown how to accelerate proficiency through a scaffolded, systematic approach, so that students are able to engage in productive and interactive language activities.
Whole-Class Activities Book (Teacher’s Guide)
This book includes:
- whole-class activities in five- to ten-minute segments,
- classroom systems,
- entry and leaving routines, and
- 85-Lesson Overview that illustrates the intended flow of the activities in the Kit how to rotate through entry and leaving routines, how often to model each new activity, how to recycle vocabulary, when to introduce each partner/group activity and how long students typically spend in it and when to introduce the creative work with story - story retelling and extension)
- assessment for learning blackline masters,
- vocabulary lists and
- game cards.
Partner/Group Activities Book (Blackline Masters)
Including the play, vocabulary list, language-manipulation activities, simple and more complex questions based on the story, creative writing activities and words to the accompanying songs.
In this book, you will find assessment activities for, as and of learning. CAN DO statements for both teacher and students provide the basis upon which to create learning strategies and success criteria and to develop student metacognition and reflection. The Student Portfolio begins the long-term process of documentation of student achievement through the language learning journey that begins with this Step One Kit.
CEFR Action-Oriented Tasks Book
Once students begin to develop a certain proficiency toward the end of the first core Kit, you select from among a bank of suggested tasks, based on the skills targeted in the Ontario Curriculum. We indicate suggested times for introduction of activities based on expected proficiency developed.
- Student Workbooks are available as an additional purchase.
- Student Digital Workbooks are available for 1:1 classrooms as an additional purchase.
For younger classes, shared reading with the Big Book is a very important AIM activity. You may also use the e-reader of this same book, projected from the Portal.
Overview of the Principles, strategies and techniques for successful implementation of the methodology in relation to how it develops authentic proficiency through the levels as stated in the CEFR.
Posters and Image Cards
- Image cards of words not gestured
- Hard-copy song and rap posters with lyrics. These also appear as projectable posters on the Portal
AIM Kit Portal (2-year subscription)