Attention FSL and Immersion Teachers!
Get off to a great start in 2019 with an AIM workshop!
Give your students and your teaching practice a boost of energy or move your AIM implementation to a new level!
Join Wendy Maxwell, creator of the methodology, at one or both of our AIM trainings in early October.
View live classroom demonstrations with students!
There are two workshop options:
- Beginner/Refresher AIM workshop: October 2nd & 3rd, 2019
- Experienced AIM workshop: October 4th, 2019
Balmoral Hall School
630 Westminster Ave,
Workshops for Beginner AIM teachers
This interactive and practical workshop will give you the opportunity to discover and try some of the AIM’s innovative techniques. Learn the unique tools and strategies used in an AIM classroom.
This is a two-day workshop.
Date & Time
Day 1: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 Time: 9:00am-3:00pm
You will learn how to:
- Get your students speaking the target language and use gestures to establish (painlessly!) a French-only classroom environment from the very first day of classes
- Encourage language production from all students at all levels
- Scaffold activities to ensure maximum student confidence and success
- Use music and choreography to create an active and engaging classroom environment
- Work with AIM plays at the beginning levels and utilize the effectiveness of a story-based approach
- Introduce basic language manipulation activities
Day 2: Thursday, October 3th, 2019 Time: 9:00am-3:00pm
The facilitator will continue to focus on the unique tools and strategies used in an AIM classroom.
Topics covered will include:
- How to maximize use of gestures and have students speaking with you at all times
- How to implement story retelling and story extension activities
- How to correct work with an emphasis on error analysis as a way to refine grammar knowledge in context
Workshop for Experienced AIM teachers:
Friday, October 4th, 2019 Time: 9:00am-3:00pm
Experienced AIM teachers will:
- work in groups to discover what they know and what they still need to learn about AIM
- review and articulate the key strategies for success with AIM
- get hands-on practice with new, more advanced and challenging AIM activities
- work in groups to analyse teacher classroom videos and critique the implementation of the methodology, while reflecting on their own practice
- learn to improve questioning techniques with AIM
- learn to be successful with spontaneous gesturing - AIM-ifying anything we wish!
- learn additional techniques to ensure a target-language only classroom
- further their understanding of AIM's three-step inductive approach to grammar
- receive in-depth practice with AIM's most important activity creative storytelling - retelling and extension as well as book publishing!
Beginner/Refresher Workshop: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 8:00am-9:00am
Experienced Workshop: Friday, October 4th, 2019 8:00am-9:00am
Lunch is included in the workshop price and coffee & tea will be provided each morning.
Join us for coffee and light breakfast at 8:30 a.m.