Unleash the Power of the AIM...for Teaching French!
Date: Saturday, August 25th, 2018 and Sunday, August 26th, 2018 in Vancouver, BC. (13 clock hours, professional development)
If you require 20 clock hours for the B.C. Bursary for Educators we are offering a third day training session in North Vancouver that will allow you to meet the 20 hour grant requirement.
This additional day will be at the AIM head office, with Author and Creator of the AIM, Wendy Maxwell on August 27th in North Vancouver BC. Experienced and Beginner AIM teachers welcome.
Space is limited, register today. To attend this session you must be registered for either the Beginner or Experienced Workshop.
- Workshops for Beginner AND Experienced AIM French Teachers.
These interactive and practical workshops will give you the opportunity to discover and try some of the AIM’s innovative techniques. Learn the unique tools and strategies used in an AIM classroom.
Facilitators: Shannon Bourbonnais for Beginner Workshops & Wendy Maxwell for Experienced Workshops
A wealth of topics will be covered for both new and experienced AIM teachers.
AIM is a balanced literacy approach that uses effective strategies and techniques to accelerate language acquisition. Through its multimodal design, AIM is a program that provides support for all learners with varying learning styles, intelligences and strengths. Embedded in the design of the program are many principles of Universal Design for Learning and AIM has proven to be successful at ensuring that inclusion is possible in a second language classroom.
Teachers new to AIM will learn:
- gestures from Wendy Maxwell’s 'Gesture Approach'
- how to get your students speaking French and how to establish (painlessly!) a French-only classroom environment from the very first day of classes
- to scaffold activities to ensure maximum student confidence and success
- to use music and choreography as part of the AIM
- how to work with AIM plays at the beginning levels
- how to model hasic language manipulation activities
- how to maximize use of gestures and have students talking with you at all times!
- how to introduce story retelling
- how to get language production from shy and behaviourally-challenged students
- how to correct work with an emphasis on error analysis as a way to refine grammar knowledge in context
- how the AIM ensures that proficiency develops so that students can engage in authentic tasks right from the beginning
Experienced AIM teachers will:
- work in groups to discover what they know and what they still need to learn about AIM
- review and articulate the key strategies for success with AIM
- get hands-on practice with new, more advanced and challenging AIM activities
- work in groups to analyse teacher classroom videos and critique the implementation of the methodology, while reflecting on their own practice
- learn to improve questioning techniques with AIM
- learn to be successful with spontaneous gesturing - AIM-ifying anything we wish!
- learn additional techniques to ensure a target-language only classroom
- further their understanding of AIM's three-step inductive approach to grammar
- receive in-depth practice with AIM's most important activity creative storytelling - retelling and extension as well as book publishing!
Vancouver Workshop Location:
York House School
4176 Alexandra St, Vancouver, BC V6J 2V6
Date & Time
Saturday, August 25th, 2018 and Sunday, August 26th, 2018
at 9:00am-3:00pm each day
Breakfast and lunch are included in the workshop price.
Continental Breakfast @ 8:30am
Vancouver Hotel rates increase significantly in the summer months, so please make your hotel reservations early to obtain the best rates. Alternatively, many Teachers tell us of the wonderful deals and great places to stay in Vancouver by booking with Airbnb (www.airbnb.ca
*Special Bundled Price
Make sure you have the resources you need to implement the AIM in your language classroom: bundle your training with an AIM Teaching Kit and SAVE 15%!
To order a bundle please call us at 1-800-668-6288 (North America) or 1-604-984-0015 (International).
For Bundled Price: Register by May 31, 2018.
Up to one week before date of workshop: 90% REFUND.
No Refund if cancellation less than seven days before workshop.
Note: We have availability in all workshops unless noted as "SOLD OUT".